HEAD, PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST (Soil Science - Chemistry/Fertility/Microbiology)
Name Dr. ARVIND KUMAR RAI
Father’s Name : Shri B.N. Rai
- Academic and Professional Qualifications
|B. Sc. Ag. & A.H.||G.B.P.U.A.&T. Pantnagar||1989||4.96/5.0||Agriculture & Animal Husbandry|
|M. Sc. Ag||G. B.P. U. A. &T. Pantnagar||1992||4.87/5.0||Soil Sci. (Soil Microbiology/ Fertility)|
|Ph.D.||I.A.R.I. New Delhi||1997||3.26/4.0||Major : Soil science
Minor 1 : Agril.Chemistry
Minor 2: Soil Microbiology
|NET||ASRB New Delhi||1994,1995||–||Soil Fertility/Soil Microbiology|
M.Sc.Ag. : “Nitrogen fixation and its release by Sesbania green manure”
Ph.D. : “Biodetoxification of herbicide contaminated soils”
Scholarships/ Fellowship Received
- University Merit Scholarship during graduation.
- Senior Research Fellowship of IARI, New Delhi for Ph.D. programme.
- Graduate Research Assistant ship in M. Sc. Ag. (1990-1992).
- Vice Chancellor’s Gold Medal-1989 from G.B.P.U.A.T, Pantnagar, Nainital.
- Awarded “Gold Medal” from Directorate of Higher Education, Allahabad, U.P.
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Memorial Fund Award-1989”
- Best poster award: Ahmed S., Kumar T.K., Kumar S., Rai Arvind K., Mishra A.K. and Ghosh P.K. (2016). Non-conventional fodder resources: cactus a potential crop for arid and semiarid region of India. 4thNational symposium, IFNAS, Jhansi, India
- February, 2014-continuing
Principal Scientist, Central Soil salinity Research Institute, Karnal
- 2007 July- February, 2014
Senior Scientist, Division of crop Production, Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute, Jhansi, India.
- 2001 October – 2007 July
Assistant Professor, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Central Agricultural University, Arunachal Pradesh, India.
- 1996 April – 2001 October
Assistant Agriculture Research Officer, Department of Agriculture, Government of Rajasthan, India.
Current research interest includes understanding the response of crops to conservation agriculture practices under saline soil and water conditions and reclamation of sodic soils. Presently I am working on the root zone salinity management under low water requiring cropping system and developing alternate strategies for reclamation of sodic soil using elemental sulphur and other organic amendments.
Research project continuing:
- Conjunctive water use strategies with conservation tillage and mulching for improving productivity of salt affected soils under limited fresh water irrigation
- Developing alternate strategies for reclamation of sodic soils
Research project concluded:
- Utilization of rhizospheric interactions for enhancing nutrient acquisition and use efficiency of forage crops under acid soils.
- Soil micronutrient deficiency management for quality forage and livestock production
- Effect of long term organic and conventional nutrient management on soil fertility and sustainability of cropping system
- As Assistant Professor involved in under graduate teaching of different courses namely fundamentals of geology & soil science, soil conservation & management, nutrition of horticultural crops etc.
- Guided two M. Sc. (Microbiology) and 8 UG students.
- Teaching and guidance of the post graduate students of ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana, India.
NAIP sponsored training on “Insitu remediation of heavy metal contaminated soils” from June 15, 2012 to September 14, 2012 at Environmental Management and by product Utilization Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (BARC), USDA-ARS, Beltsville, Maryland, USA.
|Categories||Research paper||Bulletin||Book chapter||Technical/popular artilce||Training manual|
- Professional Association
- Indian Society of Soil Science, India.
- Society of Pesticide Science, India ( Life Member)
- Range Management Society of India, India (Life Member)
- Society of Hill Farming, India (Life Member)
- Served Member editorial Committee, Journal of Range Management and Agroforestry.
- Associate editor, Journal of Soil Salinity and Water Quality.