Principal Scientist (Agronomy)
Dr H. S. JAT
Principal Scientist (Agronomy)
Division of Soil & Crop Management,
ICAR-Central Soil Salinity Research Institute (CSSRI), Karnal- 132 001
Tel: +91-184-2209309 ext.310, Fax: +91-184-2290480
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Research Area:
- Working on climate smart agriculture (CSA) to develop and standardize climate resilient cereal based systems for sustaining profitability and mitigating GHGs in cereal based systems of NW India
- Working on sustainable intensification for developing cereal based resilient cropping system by using a wide range of conservation agriculture (CA) based indicators (crop rotation, tillage, crop establishment, crop, water, nutrient and residue management) in NW India.
- Working on targeting the portfolio of interventions related to climate smart agriculture technologies in salt affected soils to understand the salt and water dynamics.
Major Research Accomplishments:
- Developed and design conservation agriculture (CA) based cereal systems (Rice/maize-wheat based) to maximize the system productivity while improving the natural resource base and environmental quality
- Standardize site specific water and nutrient management in cereal systems through bundling agronomic innovative management practices
- Develop and standardize multi-enterprise agriculture model for marginal and small land holders in Indo Gangetic Plains (IGP) of India.
- Golden Jubilee Award for Excellence- 2019 for Fertilizer Use Research by The Fertiliser Association of India (FAI), New Delhi.
- Dhiru Morarji Memorial Award -2016 by The Fertiliser Association of India for best article in agricultural sciences
- Appreciation Letter by IPNI (International Plant Nutrition Institute) for contribution in validation and scaling the Nutrient Expert® (NE) decision support system tool in 2016.
- Best Poster Award by Indian Society of Soil Salinity & Water Quality during 5th National Seminar on Climate Resilient Saline Agriculture: Sustaining Livelihood Security at SKRAU, Bikaner during 21-23 January, 2017.
- Best Poster Award by International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI) during International Conference on “Advances in Potassium Research for Efficient Soil and Crop Management” at NASC Complex New Delhi India on 28-29 August 2017.
- Best Poster Award by National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) during XII Agricultural Science Congress at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal during 3-6 Feb., 2015.
- Best Poster Award by Indian Society for Sheep and Goat Production and Utilization (ISSGPU) during the National Workshop-Cum-Seminar on Commercial Sheep & Goat Farming and Marketing: Farmer-Industry-Researcher Interface at ICAR-CIRG, Makhdoom, Farah (Uttar Pradesh) during 4-5 March, 2006.
- Best Poster Award by Indian Society for Sheep and Goat Production and Utilization (ISSGPU) during the National Seminar on Conservation, Processing and Utilization of Monsoon Herbage for Augmenting Animal Production at ICAR-CSWRI Arid Region Campus, Bikaner (Raj) during 17-18 December, 2005.
Trainings: Training programmes organized in the capacity of coordinator/ co-coordinator
|1.||Use of poor quality water in agriculture||ICAR-CSSRI, Karnal||Oct., 23 -Nov. 05, 2019||International training programme for delegates of AARDO member countries|
Conservation Agriculture: Gateway for productive and sustainable cropping systems
|CIMMYT-BISA at Ludhiana/ Karnal||Four times-year 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018||International training programme on Conservation Agriculture|
|3.||Conservation agriculture and farm mechanization for sustainable intensification in Karnataka||UAS, Dharwad||April 10-12, 2016||International training programme on CA|
|4.||Conservation Agriculture: Developing Resilient Systems||ICAR-CSSRI, Karnal||Oct.2 to 11, 2015||International training programme on Conservation Agriculture|
|5.||Approaches for integrated analysis of agricultural systems in South Asia: field, to farm, to landscape scale||ICAR-CSSRI, Karnal||May 18-23, 2015||International training Workshop organized by ICAR and CIMMYT|
|6.||Conservation Agriculture: Developing Resilient Systems||ICAR-CSSRI, Karnal||Sept.27 to Oct.4, 2014||International training programme on Conservation Agriculture|
|7.||Conservation Agriculture (CA) Machinery||ICAR-CSSRI, Karnal||Feb. 15-17, 2013||Hands-on training for State Agril. Department officials by CSISA-CIMMYT|
|8.||Use of poor quality water in agriculture||ICAR-CSSRI, Karnal||In the consecutive year 2010, 2011, 012||2 weeks International training programme for delegates of AARDO member countries by CSSRI|
Patents, Technology, Methodology, Genetic Stock, Variety, etc.:
Maintained Genetic stock of promising species of Ailanthus at CSWRI, Avikanagar
Shyamsundar, P., Springer, N.P., Tallis, H., Polasky, S., Jat, M.L., Sidhu, H.S., Krishnapriya, P.P., Skiba, N., Ginn, W., Ahuja, V. and Cummins, J., Datta, I., Dholakia, H.H., Dixon, J., Gerard, B., Gupta, R., Hellmann, J., Jadhav, A., Jat, H.S., Keil, A., Ladha, J.K., Lopez- Ridaura, S., Nandrajog, S.P., Paul, S., Ritter, A., Sharma, P.C., Singh, R., Singh, D. and Somanathan, R. 2019. Fields on fire: Alternatives to crop residue burning in India. Science 365(6453): 536-538.
Jat, H.S., Sharma, P.C., Datta, A., Choudhary, M., Kakraliya, S.K., Yadvinder-Singh, Sidhu, H.S., Gerard, B., Jat, M.L. 2019. Re-designing irrigated intensive cereal systems through bundling precision agronomic innovations for transitioning towards agricultural sustainability in North-West India. Scientific Reports 9: 1-14.
Sapkota, T.B., Vetter, S.H., Jat, M.L., Sirohi, S., Shirsath, P.B., Singh, R., Jat, H.S., Smith, P., Hillier, J., Stirling, C.M., 2019. Cost-effective opportunities for climate change mitigation in Indian agriculture. Science of the Total Environment 655: 1342–1354
Jat, H.S., Datta, A., Choudhary, M., Sharma, P.C., Yadav, A.K., Choudhary, V., Gathala, M.K., Jat, M.L. and McDonald, A., 2019. Climate Smart Agriculture practices improve soil organic carbon pools, biological properties and crop productivity in cereal-based systems of North-West India. Catena 181: 104059
Patra, S., Julich, S., Feger, K.H., Jat, M.L., Jat, H.S., Sharma, P.C. and Schwärzel, K., 2019. Soil hydraulic response to conservation agriculture under irrigated intensive cereal-based cropping systems in a semiarid climate. Soil and Tillage Research 192: 151-163.
Jat, H.S., Datta, A., Choudhary, M., Yadav, A.K., Choudhary, V., Sharma, P.C., Gathala, M.K., Jat, M.L. and McDonald, A., 2019. Effects of tillage, crop establishment and diversification on soil organic carbon, aggregation, aggregate associated carbon and productivity in cereal systems of semi-arid Northwest India. Soil and Tillage Research 190: 128-138.
Sidhu, H.S., Jat, M.L., Tadvinder-Singh, Sidhu, R.K., Naveen Gupta, Parvinder Singh, Pankaj Singh, Jat, H.S. and Bruno Gerard. 2019. Sub-surface drip fertigation with conservation agriculture in a rice-wheat system: A breakthrough for addressing water and nitrogen use efficiency. Agricultural Water Management 216: 273-283.
Kumar, S., Narjary, B., Kumar, K., Jat, H.S., Kamra, S.K. and Yadav, R.K., 2019. Developing soil matric potential based irrigation strategies of direct seeded rice for improving yield and water productivity. Agricultural Water Management 215: 8-15.
Jat, H.S., Kumar, P., Sutaliya, J.M., Kumar, S., Choudhary, M., Singh, Y. and Jat, M.L., 2019. Conservation agriculture based sustainable intensification of basmati rice-wheat system in North-West India. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science 65: 1370-1386.
Groot, A.E., Bolt, J.S., Jat, H.S., Jat, M.L., Kumar, M. and Blok, V., 2019. Business models of SMEs as a mechanism for scaling Climate Smart Technologies: The case of Punjab, India. Journal of Cleaner Production 210: 1109-1119.
Kakraliya, S.K., Jat, H.S., Singh, I., Sapkota, T.B., Singh, L.K., Sutaliya, J.M., Sharma, P.C., Jat, R.D., Choudhary, M., Lopez-Ridaura, S., Jat, M.L., 2018. Performance of portfolios of climate smart agriculture practices in a rice-wheat system of western Indo-Gangetic plains. Agricultural Water Management 202:122-133.
Jat, R.D., Jat, H.S., Nanwal, R.K., Yadav, A.K., Bana, A., Choudhary, K.M., Kakraliya, S.K., Sutaliya, J.M., Sapkota, T.B., Jat, M.L., 2018. Conservation agriculture and precision nutrient management practices in maize-wheat system: Effects on crop and water productivity and economic profitability. Field Crops Research 222: 111-120.
Jat, H.S., Datta, A., Sharma, P.C., Kumar, V., Yadav, A.K., Choudhary, M., Choudhary, V., Gathala, M.K., Sharma, D.K., Jat, M.L., Yaduvanshi, N.P.S., Singh, G., McDonald, A. 2018. Assessing soil properties and nutrient availability under conservation agriculture practices in a reclaimed sodic soil in cereal-based systems of North-West India. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, 64: 531-545.
Lohan, S.K., Jat, H.S., Yadav, A.K., Sidhu, H.S., Jat, M.L., Choudhary, M., Peter, J.K., Sharma, P.C., 2018. Burning issues of paddy residue management in north-west states of India. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 81: 693-706.
Kumar, V., Jat, H.S., Sharma, P.C., Gathala, M.K., Malik, R.K., Kamboj, B.R., Yadav, A.K., Ladha, J.K., Anitha Raman, Sharma, D.K., McDonald, A. 2018. Can productivity and profitability be enhanced in intensively managed cereal systems while reducing the environmental footprint of production? Assessing sustainable intensification options in the breadbasket of India. Agriculture Ecosystem and Environment 252: 132-147.
Choudhary, K.M., Jat, H.S., Nandal, D.P., Bishnoi, D.K., Sutaliya, J.M., Choudhary, M., Yadvinder-Singh, Sharma, P.C., Jat, M.L. 2018. Evaluating alternatives to rice-wheat system in western Indo-Gangetic Plains: Crop yields, water productivity and economic profitability. Field Crops Research 218: 1-10.
Choudhary, M., Datta, A., Jat, H.S., Yadav, A.K., Gathala, M.K., Sapkota, T.B., Das, A.K., Sharma, P.C., Jat, M.L., Singh, R., Ladha, J.K. 2018. Changes in soil biology under conservation agriculture based sustainable intensification of cereal systems in Indo-Gangetic Plains. Geoderma 313: 193-204.
Meena, M.D., Narjary, B., Sheoran, P., Jat, H.S., Joshi, P.K., Chinchmalatpure, A.R., Yadav, G., Yadav, R.K. and Meena, M.K., 2018. Changes of phosphorus fractions in saline soil amended with municipal solid waste compost and mineral fertilizers in a mustard-pearl millet cropping system. Catena 160: 32-40.
Jat, M.L., Stirling, C.M., Jat, H.S., Tetarwal, J.P., Jat, R.K., Singh, R., Lopez-Ridaura, S. and Shirsath, P.B., 2018. Soil Processes and Wheat Cropping Under Emerging Climate Change Scenarios in South Asia. In: Advances in Agronomy 148: 111-171.
Tirol-Padre, A., Rai, M., Kumar, V., Gathala, M., Sharma, P.C., Sharma, S., Nagar, R.K., Deshwal, S., Singh, L.K., Jat, H.S. and Sharma, D.K. 2016. Quantifying changes to the global warming potential of rice wheat systems with the adoption of conservation agriculture in northwestern India. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 219:125-137.
Aryal, J.P., Sapkota, T.B., Stirling, C.M., Jat, M.L., Jat, H.S., Munmun Rai, Surabhi Mittal and Sutaliya, J.M. 2016. Conservation agriculture-based wheat production better copes with extreme climate events than conventional tillage-based systems: A case of untimely excess rainfall in Haryana, India. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 233: 325-335.
Choudhary, R., Parvinder-Singh, Sidhu, H.S., Nandal, D.P., Jat, H.S., Yadvinder-Singh, Jat, M.L. 2016. Evaluation of tillage and crop establishment methods integrated with relay seeding of wheat and mungbean for sustainable intensification of cotton-wheat system in South Asia. Field Crops Research 199: 31-41.
Gathala, M.K., Virender Kumar, Sharma, P.C., Saharawat, Y.S., Jat, H.S., Singh, M., Kumar, A., Jat, M.L., Humphreys, E., Sharma, D.K., Sharma, S., Ladha, J.K. 2013. Optimizing Intensive Cereal-Based Cropping Systems Addressing Current and Future Drivers of Agricultural Change in the Northwestern Indo-Gangetic Plains of India. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 187: 33-46.
- Extension (if any):-Scale out the CSV concept in Haryana
Central Soil Salinity
Research Institute, Karnal- 132001, Haryana